Operations Manager – Jerusalem and West Bank (JWB)
Location Jerusalem based, coverage for all JWB activities.
Position Status Full-time
Position Category Regular Employee
Salary Scale: 6A
Closing Date: 8th-November-2020
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps (MC) is a non-profit, non-aligned, secular non-governmental (NGO) humanitarian relief and development organization, registered in the United States and Scotland with offices in more than 40 countries around the world, including the West Bank and Gaza, where the organization has been active in implementing humanitarian and development programs for more than a decade. Mercy Corps Palestine has staff based in East Jerusalem, Ramallah, Gaza City, and Khan Younis offices that implement programs throughout the Palestinian territories.
The Operations Department, including Human Resources, Procurement, Administration, and Security, provides crucial support to enable the effective implementation of all MC programs. It ensures that all MC activities follow MC Global and National policies and procedures and are in compliance with donor rules. It also ensures staff can complete their jobs in a safe, secure, and supportive manner with clear responsibilities and rules.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Jerusalem & West Bank (JWB) Operations Manager oversees administrative, security and human resources functions for Mercy Corps’ West Bank activities and all Jerusalem and West Bank offices.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervise the Operations and Administration team in JWB, including the Human Resources and Safeguarding Coordinator, Driver/Logistics Assistant, Officer cleaners, and any other relevant staff hired.
- Ensure appropriate division of responsibilities among the team and that they are providing optimal support to all of JWB.
- Build team capacity.
- Foster a culture of service in the Operations team.
- Lead all procurement and tendering in JWB, in line with MCs’ policies and procedures and under the guidance of the Palestine Procurement Manager.
- Ensure office management procedures are in compliance with Mercy Corps Field Administration Manual and ensure adherence to all Mercy Corps administrative procedures by all staff; advise on alterations and new policies when necessary.
- Ensure all offices, warehouses, and guesthouses in JWB are kept in good working order and are fully functional for staff needs.
- Track all assets and office equipment and ensure their maintenance. Maintain the Mercy Corps Asset Management Database.
- Supervise fleet management.
- Coordinate with Palestine IT team, based in Gaza, to ensure smooth IT function in JWB.
- Supervise the permit and visa process for both Palestinians and expatriates related to movement to and from JWB. This includes maintaining relationships with relevant authorities and ensuring the safe movement of all staff.
- Coordinate with Gaza Director of Operations to ensure consistent implementation of operational processing and MC policies and procedures across all of Palestine.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that all payments to vendors are made on time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC.
- Represent MCs’ interests and standards with vendors and contractors.
- Develop, communicate, and implement a security management plan for JWB.
- Track security and movement situation in JWB and keep team updated through standard channels.
- Contribute to MC JWB management team discussions relating to the safety and security of project staff and assets.
- Provide strategic security analysis to Palestine and regional management as needed. Maintain regular communication with Regional Safety & Security Advisor.
- Conduct security training and drills for all JWB teams. Provide security orientation to all new staff and visitors.
- Ensure safe movement of all team members between within JWB and between Gaza and JWB.
- Coordinate with Gaza Operations team on all relevant security issues and on movement of staff between Gaza and JWB.
HR & Community Accountability:
- Supervise HR in JWB, including recruiting and team reviews.
- Ensure the National Staff Handbook is understood and followed throughout JWB.
- Participate in disciplinary, hiring and termination meetings with program staff upon request;
- Ensure the successful rollout and implementation of the Community Accountability Reporting Mechanism (CARM) in JWB.
- Supervise the Safeguarding system in JWB.
- Liaise with government agencies as directed by the Country Director;
- Coordinate with relevant staff from other NGO and organizations and AIDA.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervise JWB HR & Safeguarding Coordinator, Driver, Cleaners
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Palestine Country Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Gaza Director of Operations, Palestine Procurement Manager, Palestine Director of Finance, JWB Team.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree and/or post-graduate degree in Management, Business Administration, or related field.
- At least five years’ experience of relevant work with international organizations (INGOs) in Palestine territories, including in a team-management capacity.
- Experience with logistics, procurement, and security management required.
- Understanding of the social, political, economic and security context of Palestinian territories.
- Excellent administration, management, and team building skills
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English and Arabic. Hebrew language skills preferred.
- Proficiency in all relevant computer systems and platforms.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills.
- Excellent planning and administration skills.
- Initiative, self-reliant and cooperative.
- Excellent time and organizational management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and carry out multiple tasks.
- Commitment to develop and support a strong sense of teamwork.
If you are interested in this position, you are encouraged to submit a resume and a cover letter in English. The cover letter should address the listed responsibilities and how this position aligns with your skills and your career goals.
Please send your resume and your cover letter to this e-mail [email protected] no later than November, 8th, 2020 midnight.
Please state your name and the position title in the e-mail subject.